Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Undecided

I'm pretty discouraged at the moment. As I'm writing, it's still not certain who the president will be. Ohio is still in question, though it looks likely that Bush will take it, and if he does, he will have 269 votes, which is enough to make him president. He's pretty clearly leading in the popular, which is very surprising to me.

I just don't think that this man is worthy of a second term. He's not half the president that his father was, yet his place in history will now be assured. What bothers me the most about him is that he seems to be so divisive. One of the stated strategies of his campaign was that he only needed white evangelicals in order to win, and it seems that he doesn't really care about anyone else. I was looking at exit polling data, and it appeared that Bush was only winning among white men. Every other gender/race demographic was breaking for Kerry. Now I know that the exit polls aren't really accurate, but it doesn't make me feel good at all that this president is basically only supported by white people and particularly men. I am a white male, and I also think that white males are a huge part of the problem in this country.

I'm afraid of what might happen with the republicans also taking greater majorities in both the house and senate. I heard already tonight that republicans are excited that they might be able to start drilling in the Alaskan refuge and pushing through conservative judges. What about patriot act 2, or 3 or 4? I guess I don't trust this president to look out for the majority of the nation. I certain don't trust him to in any way protect minorities (of any kind).

I do truly pray that this nation will be able to come to some reconciliation, to compromise and work together with everyone's interests in mind. That was hope regardless of the outcome of the elections. It is still my prayer. God help us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home