Sunday, March 26, 2006

My Appointment

It's public now. I can finally tell you. Bishop Hoshibata intends to appoint me as pastor to First United Methodist Church in Coos Bay, Oregon. I am very excited, and it sounds like they're pretty excited too. The congregation has about 150 members, with about 80-90 in worship on any given Sunday. Like the rest of the town, they are mostly older folks, with lots of newly retired people. There are very few children and youth, but some prospects. The congregation prefers a traditional style of worship, which is just fine with me, and they are very proud of their music program.



The town of Coos Bay has about 14,000 inhabitants. Timber, fishing, and shipping are the main industries. Located on the south coast of Oregon, it has the largest natural harbor between San Francisco and Puget Sound. There are two school districts in the area, with a total of 7 elementary schools between them, so Melissa should have fair prospects for getting a teaching job. The town isn't big, but it is a regional center, and has most of the amenities necessary. It looks like a great place, and I am really looking forward to being there.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! It sounds like a great place for you! I now have a reason to come visit Coos Bay. I've been begging Patrick to vacation there ever since we moved to the West Coast. Now, I have a little more pull. I am so excited for you!!!!

Cara

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dood! That sounds like a great match. I am *so* happy for you. :)

Mary Ann

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David - congratulations! The south coast is very pretty. Say, does the parsonage have a guest room? :) Anyway, it does sound like a great fit.

We look forward to seeing you both soon.

6:22 PM  
Blogger david said...

I haven't heard much about the parsonage, but my impression is that it is "big and old." So, yes, I'm quite sure it has a guest room, and you are quite welcome in it.

6:59 PM  
Blogger John said...

Congratulations! It looks beautiful.

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's one major question about the amenities in Coos Bay - is there high-speed internet?

I was thinking last night we should trick-out the website when you get there. We could use a full CMS (content management system), podcast your sermons, have a blog, etc... It would be fun and there's some CMS software I've wanted an excuse to play with...

8:34 AM  
Blogger david said...

It does have high speed internet. Two DSL providers and one cable provider. No Comcast, so our email addresses will be changing.

And I would certainly entertain your help with the Coos Bay website. It looks like it's been untouched for at least six months now.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news on the internet access - I don't think I could live any place without high speed internet. I'd love to help with the webpage.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home