Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Presidential Power

I've been worried for a while now about the trend in this administration toward strengthening the power of the executive. Now, while it's true that I'm not generally a fan of the Bush administration, that's not the reason that I'm opposed to increased executive power. It doesn't matter who is the White House, there still need to be appropriate checks and balances, even if that means that a future president that I love is blocked by Congress. I think that this kind of shift in power is a danger to the democracy. I think that it marks a turn away from republic toward empire, just as that that occurred in the Roman Empire.

Right at this moment I'm watching an old episode of Frontline that seems pretty good. I definitely recommend watching it. It not so much about the war or terrorism or any of that. That was just the vehicle used to expand presidential authority. That's the part that concerns me most.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kepe being reminded of the ants in T. H. White's The Once and Future King.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Questing Parson said...

You would appreciate the last edition of Bill Moyers' Journal. http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/08152008/profile.html

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home