Saturday, November 20, 2004

Back...

I'm actually back. It's been finals; hence my absence over the last little while. But now I'm finished with finals, except for a short five-page paper reflecting on my field education site, which should be really easy to write. I have completed my ten page paper on John Wesley's view of sanctification. I'm quite glad to have that class (Historical Theology) over. The only worse than a philosopher-theologian is a dead philosopher-theologian. I have completed my two-part final for World Religions: "Liminality, Comminitas and Darsan", and "'The Bare Facts of Ritual' applied to Zen in the Art of Archery." And I have completed my Hebrew final. I think I only answered 10 of 20 words on the Vocab section, but that seemed to be pretty typcical of my collegues as well. By the way, did you know that Genesis 3, where it says, "the serpent was the craftiest of every living thing that the LORD God created" it could just as easily be, "now the serpent became the craftiest..." Just a note.

Now I'm feeling the nice breakness. It's been short so far, but it's good. My parents are coming in for Thanksgiving and some friends from Iliff are coming over. So far, we're going to have 9 for dinner. I'm excited.

I'm also preaching on Thanksgiving, at the 7:30 am service. Nice. I'm using the lectionary Gospel, which for Methodists is John 6:24-35. It's the "I am the bread of life" passage. I'm usually not a big fan of John, mainly because it's so spiritualized that it's hard to understand what's really going on. There is so much irony and even sarcasm in, but most of us don't get it and are just reading on the surface, which makes us the ironic fools. Anyway, I've already translated my text, and memorized it. I'm still working on the details of the sermon, but I've got some good notes on it and a few days, so it should be no problem.

Alright, I've got to go do the Thanksgiving shopping, but here's my translation of the above text, if anyone is interested:

24 Therefore, when the crowd saw that Jesus was not there, and neither were his disciples, they got into the little boats and went across to Capernaum, continually seeking Jesus. 25 And finding him on the other side of the lake, they said to him, "Rabbi, how long have you been here?"

26 Jesus answered them and said, "Amen, amen, truly, truly I say to all of you, you are seeking me not because you saw a sign or miracle, but because you ate from the bread and you were filled. 27 Don't do your working for the dying food, the food that perishes, but for the living food, the food that endures in life eternal that the son of humanity will give to you, for this God the father has sealed."

28 Then they said to him, "What must we do in order that we might be working the works of God?"

29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God: that you might believe and have faith in the one whom God sent."

30 Then they said to him, "Then what sign are you making, in order that we might see and we might believe and have faith in you? What are you working? 31 Our parents ate manna in the wilderness, even as it is written: "Bread from heaven he gave to them to eat."

32 Then Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to all of you, Moses has not given you the bread out of heaven, but my father will give to all of you the true bread out of heaven, 33 for the bread of God is this: the one who is continually coming down out of heaven and continually giving life to the entire universe."

34 Then they said to him, "Lord, give us this bread all the time!"

35 Jesus said to them, "I myself am the bread of life, the one holding on to me and coming with me will surely never hunger, and the one believing and faithing in me will surely never thirst, ever.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Congratulations on finishing finals.

One question - what kind of sadist thought a 7:30 a.m. service was a good idea?

I'm impressed by your translation ability. I think you should do a hip-hop, snoop-dogg translation of the NT. I think that would be awesome.

I've been a serious blog slacker - I need to back on the wagon. We went to a John Nilsen concert at our church last night - it was very cool. Sarah's parents are taking piano lessons from John's mom.

Anyway, I've got a meeting. Got to go!

9:20 AM  
Blogger david said...

Actually, I was mistaken. The service really starts at 7:00 am. That was my mistake. Appearantly it's been a Calvary tradition for a long time. It's one of the best attended events of the year. I think it's the breakfast at 8 that draws the real crowd.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home