Saturday, July 07, 2007

Vancouver

Vancouver was great. The city is wonderful. Absolutely beautiful, with the ocean right there and the mountains just behind. It has a great international feel, with an especially strong Asian community. Awesome restraunts. We went to Little India, which was great, and would be great for Karthik. All sorts of cool Indian kids clothes.

The school was also good. I really liked it's general vibe. I liked that it had a Pacific Northwest feel, and I also liked getting the Canadian perspective. It seemed relaxed, but serious, if that makes sense. (As opposed to stressed and frivilous). I got a chance to sit in on a class with Dr. Harry Maier. It was an intro Paul class, and quite good. I liked what he had to say, and I learned quite a lot, as I haven't spent much time studying Paul. He was a really interesting lecturer, and seemed to be a fine scholar. Plus, he had a sense of humor, which is quite important in an academic, at least in my book. I ordered his latest book, so we'll find out more there.

The way the program works, I would spend about two years on the Th. M. (Master of Theology) degree from Vancouver School of Theology. That would cover research methods (where I need help) and some advanced bible coursework. Then the Ph. D. would take about another 3 years. There's no coursework for it, just a 100,000-word essay. But I would audit courses as I worked on it. The doctorate would come from University of Wales, Lampeter, so I'd have to travel back there once to defend the dissertation. The day-to-day advising would be done by Dr. Maier.

Looks pretty interesting. Maybe in two or three years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home