Thursday, January 04, 2007

Vietnam

Melissa and I have made an application on a waiting child in Vietnam. We should hear some more soon. But in the mean time, I've been trying to do some research of Vietnam. It's not that easy, let me tell you. Apparently, the only thing that ever happened in Vietnam was the Vietnam War. And the only people that ever did anything in Vietnam were American GIs. Some other people have noticed this too, it seems. I found an Amazon Listmania list called Vietnam: the Country, Not the War. It's kind of interesting. Our country spent 20 years and 58,000 lives in Vietnam, but we don't seem to care what's happened there since. Or before, for that matter. Is that what will happen when we leave Iraq? Will we forget that anything ever happened there besides the war?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, when we left Korea many people remembered that they didn't like kim chee. :/

I am so excited about your application, David and Melissa. :) Particularly as Chun Woo gets older, I think about how much you will love having a child together, and what wonderful parents you will be. :)

We have been projecting applying to adopt a daughter from China this March, which would then mean travelling out there sometime in 2008 to pick her up. (I think, though, that Sheeyun and I are going to have to talk seriously about childraising responsibilities for that to be a sane thing for me to do, though. :/ )

Love and peace. I'm so glad to hear from you!

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David - that's fantastic! I'll call you to get more details...

That's interesting about the trouble finding information on Vietnam. But when I think about it, all I've heard about Vietnam in the last several years had to do with the US reestablishing diplomatic relations (which is basically about the war) and the opening of their markets to global corporations.

I think one of our big problems as a culture is that remarkably uncurious about some pretty important things. The problem isn't that we won't pay attention to anything that happens in Iraq after way (and we most certainly won't) - the problem is that we didn't pay any attention to what happened before the war. If we had, we might not have sacrificed 3,000+ americans and an unthinkable number of Iraqis.

Anyway, I'm very happy that your process is moving along. Talk to you soon.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your application. As the grandpa of an adopted little girl, I know the joy that's coming.

And I agree with Brian. The problem is in not paying attention before the mess.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home