Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A Good Day

Sunday was a very good day. Part of it had to do with the sermon that I preached. Not that it was necessary all that good of a sermon. But, it was a sermon that I very much needed to hear. It ended up being on the topic of perpetual thankfulness. I'm usually not very good at that. I'm much better at being skeptical, cynical, and generally depressed. But I actually paid attention to my own words this week, and I really have been thankful. It's a good feeling. (If you want to check out the sermon, it's here on the church's new website.)

So, after the sermon, we spent the first part of the prayer time sharing the things that we're thankful for, and it was great! The congregation has been a little down about themselves, and it was great to be sharing joys during the time that we usually share only concerns.

Also, the music in the service was great, we had a visiting YWAM missionary giving a presentation, and there were a bunch of people in worship.

Then we went home and chilled out for a little. I read some Harry Potter.

In the evening we went over to a parishioner's house for a smore party. Several of us just sat around the fire and had a great time. It was the first time that I've been with church folk here and felt like I was just one of the gang. I didn't feel like I was "on." It was really nice to be able to relax a little bit.

So, it was a great day. I really, really enjoyed it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,

Sounds like the clouds are starting to depart. I too have had some great days. Today I visited a member in the hospital. She did more to liven my spirit than I think I did for her. The days of ministry always seem to move in a rollercoaster fashion. Some days are up and some days are down. But we wouldn't be doing it, if we had other choices right? I was reading the introduction to the book "Relunctant Saint: The Life of Francis of Assisi" by Donald Spoto. Spoto says that Francis was "haunted by the presence of God." That is so how I feel and what keeps me in ministry despite the bad days. You are right that there are so many things to be thankful for in this world. We only need to look around. I pray that you will continue to be thankful and that your eyes will be continuously open to God moving in your life. You're doing a good job. Keep up the good work.

Blessings,

Cara

P.S. Nice picture of you on the website!

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home