Wednesday, July 05, 2006

First Communion

For a liturgical nerd like myself (or as my friend Courtney would say, a Seminerdian), it's pretty cool to celebrate communion for the first time. I was the celebrant on my first Sunday as Pastor of First United Methodist Church of Coos Bay. Some pastors get excited about preaching, some about Bible study; me, I'm excited about sacraments. In any case, the whole service went quite smoothly. There were three special segments: Celebration of a New Appointment, Reaffirmation of Baptism with reception of a member, and Communion, I we still managed to get out early. Then we had everyone over for Potluck at the Parsonage in the afternoon. Overall, quite a good start, I'd say.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a UMC pastor now going into my second year, I vividly remember that first service as well. It was also very humbling to serve Holy Communion for the first time. May God bless this first year...it goes by very quickly.

Bryan Smith
Chapel Hill UMC, Rome, GA

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked doing mine as well. Perhaps surprisingly, given how important and moving I find communion, it asn't epochal for me. OTOH, perhaps it wasn't surprising: I don't care who gives communion!

Mary Ann

2:00 PM  
Blogger Questing Parson said...

As a UMC pastor whose done it for forty years, my prayer is it will always be this exciting and the joy of it never leave you.

And, Potluck at the Parsonage following the gathering at the Lord's Table must have made it memorable for all.

Grace and peace.

6:19 PM  
Blogger John said...

For a while, I've wondered what it will be like a year or so from now when I preside over communion for the first time.

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah buddy! A) I am proud of the use Seminerdian B)I love communion and I am exuding happiness that your first communion was blessed C) you rock!

Courtney

11:18 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hi David,
Glad first communion went well! Very exciting. How did the wedding go? You know we didn't have much marital counseling and it was probably a good thing considering the pastor wasn't extremely committed to his wife we found out later. I'm not sure I'd recommend the Dr. Laura books right away, but I know Brian was kidding. Maybe they could take a test on Enneagrams? www.enneagraminstitute.com

Anyway, good job and blessings. I hope we get to visit you and Melissa soon.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home